Hi Guys! I just came back from my Japan trip and I will be posting a series of blogs re the ups and downs of my journey for everyone’s future travel reference. So much stories to tell; from all the bento kiosks and good ramen shops that I found, to getting lost on Japan’s massively overwhelming train network. But first, fundamental requirement muna tayo guys. I will be discussing below the basic requirements for Tourist Visa Application. Hope this helps!
Now is really a good time to visit Japan as Cebu Pacific will start flying Daily from Cebu to Tokyo-Narita and back, starting December 1, 2018. This direct flight made the travel time more practical for us living in Visayas and Mindanao. Flight only takes 4 to 4.5 Hours. And we don’t have to go though any NAIA fiasco na. Cebu-Mactan Airport is more chill (I swear!) and Prettier.
BASIC TOURIST VISA REQUIREMENTS (SINGLE ENTRY)
- Philippine passport. Must have a signature and at least 2 blank pages. Must have at least 6-months validity.
- A duly filled up visa application form. You may download it at https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/000163096.pdf
- ID picture. 4.5cm x 4.5 cm. Write your name and birthdate on the back side. Paste it on the application form.
- Birth certificate from PSA. Must be issued within the past one year. Old birth certificates issued with NSO logo is not valid anymore. Dapat yung colored paper na with PSA logo, which you can order and pay online via https://nsohelpline.ph . If may alterations or errors on your birth details, settle that muna with the agency.
- Marriage certificate from PSA. Only if you’re married. If not, deadma.
- Daily schedule. Your itinerary in Japan. It doesn’t have to be super detailed. Just indicate your projected date of arrival and departure, and the places you wish to visit during your stay on a day to day format (Day 0, Day 1, Day 2 etc).
- Income tax return Photocopy (ITR Form 2316 for employees or Form 1701 for self employed). I also submitted the receipt or Landbank Deposit Slip for the ITR.
- Bank certificate. Issued within the past 3 months. This part is very subjective. Some blogs say you are supposed to maintain +++100,000 Pesos. But i know people who had 50,000 Pesos only for a proposed 3 days trip, and she still got approved.
- Optional na, but it is also best to submit a certificate of employment with your salary, position and company contact information. This will help you prove that you are indeed returning to the Ph and will not be TNT there. If self employed, a copy of your DTI Registration will suffice.
- Photocopy of other government ID’s like SSS, Tin, Pag ibig, Postal, if have lang. but optional. Photocopy of Company ID also if employed. provide 3 specimen signatures on every copy.
Tips and Reminders
- All documents, application form, itinerary etc must be printed on an A4-size paper.
- Do not Staple or fold your documents. Folder nyo lang with clip.
- Printed or hand written application form is OK. Black ink is preferred. No erasures.
- If you cannot provide ITR and employment certificate, you may still take your shot by writing a cover letter explaining your side. Pero magdasal ka na. lol
- And as I always recommend to my readers, especially for first timers, that “if you are unsure of the process, get a travel agency to sort out your documents for a fee.” For Davao residents, Traveloft, Inc. can assist you. (https://www.facebook.com/traveloft.davao/ )
- We are NOT required to book flight or hotel yet. However, the application asks for a flight number and an address in Japan. To get a flight number, just log on to Cebu Pacific website and get the regular flight details. For the address in Japan, just write down your desired hostel or hotel (realistic to your budget/bank certificate, of course). The travel agency can help you with this.
- Unlike other visa processes, Japan visa application cannot be submitted directly to the Japanese Embassy. All applications must be submitted through an accredited travel agency. For the list, visit https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000253.html; or just go to your trusted travel and tour, they can probably connect you to the nearest accredited agency in your region.
- Application fee is at 1000 to 1,500 Pesos.
- Once approved , your passport with visa sticker will be returned to you via your chosen agency. Releasing time takes 5 to 10 working days.
- Application may be submitted as early as 3 months before your travel date. Single entry Visa usually allows 15 days stay, at 90 days validity upon approval.
- And lastly guys, this guide, like any other guide blogs, do not assure 100% approval. Ang iyong kapalaran ay nakasalalay parin sa iyong mga sariling kamay, kung malinis ba ito o hinde. Charot! Just provide all necessary documents and pray for the stars to align in your favour. Charot again! Mag patulong kayo sa travel agency oi!
And that’s it! I hope this checklist will be of help sa mga mag aapply. Please note that this application guide only tackles Single Entry Tourist Visa. For Multiple Entry Tourist Visa, I will post a separate blog on that, if I got one na. For other types of Visa such as business, seafarer or Fiance, please check the Japanese Embassy website for the specific guidelines. For Application with Guarantor or sponsoring relatives in Japan, refer also to the embassy for your specific process.
To check on flight schedules, click here official Cebu Pacific Website.